Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Morningstar Instant X-Ray

Aside from being busier at work, I've been doing more reading about investing. Quite a few investing sites, books, and blogs mention using Morningstar's Instant X-Ray function, and last night, I finally put in my entire retirement portfolio, just to see what would happen.

The report sorts my investments by assets, stock sector, stock type, and even world region! Of course, the colours make the results niftier. But what's most interesting to me right now is the valuation grid. That's the 9-box grid that Morningstar calls its Style Box? I've seen this type of grid used by sites to evaluate a stock for being a value, core, or growth and large-, mid-, or small-cap stock. But what do the numbers inside the boxes mean? That, and how to create & read one of these boxes is the investigation of today.

Update: I still couldn'tmake one myself if I tried...luckily Morningstar will do it for me. Nonetheless, here's Vanguard's Style Box explanation.

No comments: