Monday, September 11, 2006

Frugal is a Way of Life

What I do now:


Home...

  • Live with parents.
  • Use supermarket circulars.
  • Pick up change.
    When your jar fills up, take a friend to the bank with you...the free change sorter at Commerce makes for a fun trip. Especially if you win a prize for guesstimating within $1.99 of your total.
  • At-home manicures / pedicures.


Work...

  • A safe car with good gas mileage.
  • Group errands.
    e.g. going to the supermarket, library, or bank that's on the route home after work
  • Bring lunch to work.
  • Direct deposit paycheck.
  • Contribute to 401(k).
  • Automatic Savings Plans.


Other...

  • Use public library.
  • Pay credit cards in full each month.
  • Use cash rebate credit card.
    Only a good deal for those who don't carry balances! But I hear the 5% cash rebate days with Citi Dividend Platinum are over even though I haven't received any notices...I'm eyeing the Citi Professional now, but I'm still holding out "in case." (PTF)
  • Pay bills online.
    I made $5 signing up for online credit card statements...however, read the caveat in a later post! (PTF)
  • One "spending" ATM visit per month.
  • My shopping system. (PTF)
  • Buy clothes in basic colors.
  • Use digital camera.
  • "Family Plan" cell phone.

What I should do:

What I should do more:

  • Eat in.
  • Explore Salvation Army.
  • Invite friends to volunteer with me.
    We'd save $ together, get to spend time together, and worthy causes benefit - it's a win-win-win situation! (e.g. NY Cares)

There's no feeling more empowering than knowing that you are in control of your money...so I'm working on it!

No comments: